Wednesday, June 17, 2009

An End of Draft(s) Mope

I've just finished rewrites and a first draft on three projects in various stages of development, projects that are all terribly familiar in their own way. (The first draft for Little Movie I Want to Direct is actually an adaptation from one of my short stories.)

For the first time in a long time I have to think about what I want to work on next...and nothing comes to mind. Sure I've got ideas, titles, characters, concepts I think might be cool to explore but do I feel like dedicating months, years to whipping these little wisps into something significant that I care about? Right now....no.

Instead I sit and think about why things take so long to happen, primarily with crazy Bollywood musical... why everything just seems to be in a giant holding pattern for the summer. I'm trying my best to snap out of it and move on since too much "mope" is the enemy of the hope and resilience you need to get anything produced, especially these days.

This leaves me putting one foot in front of the other, servicing the busy day job and trying my best not to pay attention to the fact that half of 2009 is gone.

Ummm...onward?

3 comments:

Steve the Creep said...

What to work on next? I'm thinking big, gory "kids on a camping trip" horror flick? Huh? Huh?

Patrick J. Rodio said...

Hey! I got one of those!

My problem is focus. Been at this writing thang for 12 years now, and I have about 10+ scripts in various stages of progress (some are 50+ pages in) and it's VERY hard of late to concentrate on 1 to finish. Totally blocked here.

I've written 53 (features) up until 2008, and I haven't finished 1 in the last 365 days.

Third World Girl said...

Hey Patrick, it must be something in the water. (Brett's writing about the doldrums, Billy Mernit's on about You and Your Shitty Draft.)

But check out Merlin Mann on John August if you haven't already. Timely stuff. I think I'm going to start outlining two of the projects I've got, because while I'm not gung ho about them, part of that may be because they're outside of what I usually do...a factor in my not wanting to embark on them.

Anyway, I'm going to take the plunge. Not actively writing just feels too weird.