Friday, February 13, 2009

There are More Hours in The Day. They Just Exist When You Don't Want To Be Up.

I've been known to say "There's just not enough hours in a day..." and I've been known to say it lots. Recently, however, I've discovered, there are enough hours. They just exist when you don't want to be up.

I've been trying with mixed success to get up at 6.00 AM to do a couple hours of writing before the rest of the house wakes up. The first couple of days was heaven. Contrary to my thinking that it would be tough to get out of bed, it was a cinch...at least in the beginning. I had that starting a new draft buzz, that high you get in the first 15 or so pages before the self-doubt kicks in.

But then I had to put said first draft on the backburner to get a rewrite done on the crazy Bollywood musical and the momentum dipped. Slowly but surely I've fallen back into my old writing pattern of trying to get a little done at night after Chicklet goes to bed. But it's sporadic and by that time of the night the brain's a little frazzled so I'm desperately trying to go back to getting the most important item of my day,writing, on the agenda when I'm fresh.

Problem is the Chicklet seems to adjust to my earlier wake-up time and just gets out of bed earlier. (I still love hearing her feet hit the floor and come pitter-pattering into the office to ask "What you doing on the computer?".) But that first morning when I got up at 6.15 and wrote for three hours was like falling into a time warp, like being in a writing program again. It was so good to be so focused, to have the leisure of some quiet time to think. I long to experience it again, even with the trade off: me being so tired towards sundown I feel nauseous.

Photo by twob

No comments: