Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Third World Moment

Yesterday morning as I channel-surfed over breakfast I heard a familiar sounding accent that made me stop on BBC World where they were having a roundtable on the economy.

The accent was Guyanese. The man responsible for its thick flat timbre was none other than the President of Guyana, Bharat Jagdeo, who I learned from the moderator's introduction once sat on the boards of the IMF and the World Bank.

I didn't listen long. I'm currently buried under a ton of work...the non-creative business stuff that pays the bills...but there was one great moment in all the handwringing about the current economic crisis. Bharat Jagdeo found a silver lining.

He said the thing that struck him was that if this economic crisis had happened in the developing world there would have been lecture after lecture in forums like this (i.e. the BBC's slick studio) about cronyism and inefficiency in the developing world. The one good thing about the crash to his mind... no more lectures from the West about how the developing world should run their economies.

He said this to stony-faced silence from Sweden's minister of finance and a former A.I.G. bigwig but to warm applause from the studio audience.

Sweet.

No comments: