Thursday, September 18, 2008

Writer's Group Update: Burnout

Like I said it was bound to happen. Labor Day did it. One unavailable Monday thanks to the holiday and now the groups are suddenly meeting the same week. (The showdown hasn't happened yet because one's temporarily gone Tuesdays instead of Mondays, but it's coming. It's on the horizon like D-day.)

I love the community of groups, I do...but I can't take two nights in a row of listening to scripts and providing sensible feedback. And I hate being gone from home consecutive days. I don't think that's just mommy guilt talking. I realized in the crazy grant week that I actually like putting the Chicklet to bed. Yeah, I grumble when I have to do it every night but when I have a break, I miss the hell out of it. Singing songs. Counting sheep. Looking at the stars through our skylight.

So the first inkling of what decision I'll probably make dawned last week when I skipped Writer's Group B, a.k.a. the semi-pros. Why did I do this?

1. Loyalty first, I suppose. I only chucked Group A when I thought they were folding.
2. Affinity with the all-lady make up of Group A.
3. I prefer Columbus Circle to the Lower West Side (hello Daffy's and Universal News!) and
4. The Group B script is a mess and depressing the hell out of me and I'm starting to wonder if I can really write dark social dramas or whether I shouldn't stick to being Li'l Miss Sunshine.

I tell myself it was just one session and what I'll probably do is alternate the two...but we'll see.

No comments: