Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Fake It Until You Make It

I just came back from a pitch coaching session and it was so not what I thought it would be. The idea of pitching is for me nerve-racking. It's sales and glib and fast talk and so not what Third World Girl, and it turns out, most girls are drawn to. No surprise... we are by nature taught to think that modesty's a virtue and people will just sense our awesomeness telepathically as we blend into the wallpaper and wait to be asked to dance.

But I digress.

After the session with this entertainment coach I realized that the pitch is really a first date and the best way to get the second date is to assure the guy or gal across the table that you're solid, know what you're doing and won't break their heart and wallet in to a million little pieces. Having the great, succinct one-line is important but equally important are the connectors, the small (big) talk, having folks in common, being professional, and, if you're producing, getting an impressive package together because the more inexperienced you are, the more experienced the people around you need to be.

By the end of the session I know I'm not ready to pitch a major studio. I've got to keep my head down and keep building, building, building till the dream project solidifies into budgets (I'm hiring a line producer), casting reels, a casting director and my romantic leads. Then I get to start thinking about a director. Yep, a ways to go yet.

Here are a couple points I thought were priceless:

• Drop names. Make the exec feel secure...you're one of them. You move in his/her circles.

• Don't leave anything behind (send it via e-mail which allows you to tweak your material based on the session) and don't hand anything out in a pitch. You want the attention on you not a piece of paper.

• Master the art of authentic bragging. State what you've done in the "a little bit about my background" section

• Do your homework on who you're meeting with. IMDB is your friend. IMDBPro is your BFF.

• If you're a producer, make your package perfect. Know your audience, your budget range, attach a casting director/key talent. Make it feel so real, so credible, that the exec can feel comfortable enough to give you their enormous piles of money.

• ...But know your worth. Don't be desperate. You're not begging. You're talking about why you think your project is an amazing idea and why it would be a good fit for the exec. But if they think it's not right for them, respect that. Let it go. Build a relationship that leaves the door open for other projects.

Hopefully all this means no more clammy hands and panic attacks when I get into a room and someone asks those four terrifying words..."So what's it about?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post - these are excellent tips for taking meetings.

JB