Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Keeping in Touch Does Not Have to Be Desperate and Stalkery


Ah networking. The necessary evil. Scratch that. These days I don't think of networking as evil at all. It's fun getting to meet new people.

I was genuinely surprised at how at the recent festival, I lit up at the idea of every get together and hang out. Yes, I wanted to make contacts, but I also genuinely enjoyed the company of the folks I met. I was a networking queen. I was my own "Sasha Fierce."

Since coming back, though, people keep asking... are you staying in touch with the people you met. And that question always gives me pause, because the people I met are not in my league at all. I am not going to run into them on the street where I live while I'm taking the Chicklet to the playground. How do I cultivate a relationship in a natural way when it's the most unnatural thing?

Here are a few ideas that I've been working on to keep relationships going after you come home from that summer camp environment, without you feeling like a stalker or hanger-on.

1. Find a reason to stay in touch. Note their script sales, distribution deals, festival acceptances and send your kudos. (Set up a Google alert for them so you don't miss any big developments.) And keep them abreast of your news. Contest wins. Screenplay readings. Significant project updates, like attachments or distribution deals or other financing success.

2. Be a resource. If you're in touch with a contact for any period of time you'll have a sense of what might be of use to them. Did they mention their production company's looking for a great urban comedy and you know someone that has one? Did they complain about the lack of quality tea lounges in your neck of the wood and you know a spot that serves the perfect Darjeeling? Forward stuff. Share info. Become known as the kind of person who's interested in solving their problems magnanimously, without wanting anything in return.

3. Invite them to stuff. Maybe they want to check out a festival screening or play opening. Make a specific offer to see something they might actually be interested in. (Research, research, research.) This is the mother lode if you can hit it. There is nothing like going on an actual date.

4. If they are members of professional associations or charities, join and support those charities. A caveat on this one...it's got to be something that you would naturally be a part of, otherwise it is stalker-y, i.e. Don't just show up at the Knitting Circle with your yarn of wool and beginner needles.

5. If you freelance write for any medium, interview them. It's free promotion for them and it builds the relationship. Boy do I regret now that I didn't do more of this when I was writing for the screenwriting magazine.

6. Send handwritten thank you notes. You are bound to stand out in the ultra-cyber age. Show that you value the gift of their time.

So go forth and meet. You never know who you'll find. Just remember to smile and enjoy it. No one wants to be around a sourpuss. Happy friend-making, people.

No comments: