Friday, January 23, 2009

In Praise of Richard Jenkins & Other Thoughts on the Oscar '09 Noms


When I heard Richard Jenkins had been nominated for Best Actor for "The Visitor" I screamed so hard I scared hubby. I was on my way to story time at this cool coffee shop with the Chicklet and was listening to the radio where some guy was bemoaning the fact that Leonardo DiCaprio was "snubbed" for Revolutionary Road. (At least someone's fired up about that movie.) Then he read the Best Actor nominees and that's when I had that moment of unbridled glee.

The "Visitor" was released way back in the Spring of 2008. The role for Jenkins wasn't showy, apart from one scene at a detention center where his frustration boils over. And yet his ability to create a real character on scene was superlative. Of course he'll just sit there Oscar night and watch Mickey Rourke walk up to the podium, but I sure am glad they found a "fifth slot" for the "TV actor" from Six Feet Under. And it's a wonderful way to reward a brilliant, small gem of a movie.

I have to admit to being a little underwhelmed by the rest of the nominations. In adapted screenplay, all I've seen is "Slumdog Millionaire"...everything else seems to require so much of me. I just can't get fired up about seeing "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" no matter how many nominations it nets. When I watch it I feel that it'll be out of a sense of duty.

In originals, I'm thrilled by the recognition for "In Bruges" and "Wall-E" and will probably eventually see everything in this category. I'm looking forward to seeing "Happy Go Lucky" but it's interesting that Mike Leigh gets nominated for a screenwriting award when his process is improvisational.

Finally, it's a trip to see Robert Downey nominated for "Tropic Thunder" given the comedy poked at the Oscars in the movie. It's great to see the academy break convention and honor a terrific comedic performance...although, "Tropic Thunder" for me is a triumph of an acting ensemble and I feel it's weird when one guy gets singled out. (I really did agree with Colin Farrell when he won the Golden Globe and said half the award was co-star Brendon Gleeson's.)

At any rate, it'll be interesting to see whether the Oscars can halt its ratings decline but early signs aren't good. No blockbusters. No big duels between best pics. No controversial host, just hunky if slightly dull, Hugh Jackman coming off a flop. Maybe they can recover next year by letting the controversial Aussie host it. I know I'd tune in.

No comments: